Post-Storm Tips from ServiceMaster Clean
As the experts in disaster restoration, the professionals from ServiceMaster Clean recommend doing the following immediately after a hurricane hits:
- Check to see if your home is safe: Make sure your home is structurally safe before going inside. Debris may be hazardous, and the potential for collapse may exist.
- Be very careful with power: Have a professional check the property for leaks to ensure it is safe before turning on electricity or lighting any matches.
- Store important items: Keep identification, insurance policies, financial information, wills, checkbook, keys and cash in a waterproof container.
- Report property damage: Immediately report property damage to your insurance agent.
- Document the damage: Videotape or take photos of the damaged areas and prepare a detailed inventory of all damaged or destroyed personal property. Be sure to keep a copy of everything for yourself.
- Repair what you can: Make whatever repairs are possible to protect from further damage. Save all receipts to be reimbursed by your insurance company.
- Watch out for scam artists: Be sure that you hire properly licensed workers for repairs.
- Let creditors know if you can’t pay: If your home is unlivable, be sure to inform local utilities so you will not be billed. Work out a payment plan with credit card companies and creditors to fund repairs.
- Assist the claims adjuster: Be prepared to respond as timely as possible to the adjuster assigned to your case to speed along your claims process.
- Look for tax breaks: Enlist a trusted tax expert to help identify breaks you may be entitled to because of your loss.