Bon-Ton Announces 3rd Quarter Results
Bon-Ton store sales increased 1.9 percent for third quarter 2012.
The Bon-Ton Stores Inc. has announced its third-quarter results of fiscal 2012, ending Oct. 27, 2012. Bon-Ton has a store in the Palmer Park Mall.
- Comparable store sales increased 1.9%.
- Gross margin rate was 36.6% compared with 37.4% in the third quarter of fiscal 2011.
- Operating income totaled $10.8 million, compared with operating income of $0.5 million in the third quarter of fiscal 2011.
- Adjusted EBITDA (Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortization) increased $9.0 million to $34.1 million, compared with $25.0 million in the third quarter of fiscal 2011. Adjusted EBITDA is not a measure recognized under generally accepted accounting principles (see Note 1).
- Net loss improved $11.9 million to $10.1 million, or $0.55 per diluted share, compared with a net loss of $22.0 million, or $1.21 per diluted share, for the third quarter of fiscal 2011.
Brendan Hoffman, president and chief executive officer, commented, “We believe that our third-quarter results reflect progress made as a result of initiatives we have been implementing throughout the year, including a better-balanced merchandise assortment, refined marketing efforts, our ‘Customer First’ shopping experience, and expense management. We were excited to see customers respond favorably to the new fall receipts and to our multi-channel methods of communication which created excitement and traffic in stores and online. This all led to 36% Adjusted EBITDA growth for the quarter as compared with the prior year third quarter.”
Hoffman continued, “We are looking forward to the holiday shopping season as we believe that we are well-positioned for continued momentum in the fourth quarter with strong merchandising and marketing initiatives in place.”
- Comparable stores sales increased 0.3%.
- Gross margin rate was 35.6%, compared with 36.7% in the prior year period.
- Operating loss totaled $25.3 million, compared with an operating loss of $13.8 million in the prior year period. Operating loss for the fiscal 2012 period includes an $8.0 million charge for severance-related costs associated with targeted reductions to the company’s cost structure.
- Adjusted EBITDA, inclusive of the aforementioned $8.0 million of severance-related costs, was $46.0 million, compared with $63.8 million in the prior year period (see Note 1).
- Net loss totaled $96.0 million, or $5.20 per diluted share, compared with a net loss of $90.3 million, or $5.00 per diluted share, for the prior year period. Year-to-date results for fiscal 2012 include a charge of $6.7 million, or $0.36 per diluted share, for fees associated with the senior notes exchange, a charge of $8.0 million, or $0.43 per diluted share, for the aforementioned severance-related costs and a net gain of $1.9 million, or $0.10 per diluted share, related to the company’s sale of certain Rochester, NY locations and subsequent prepayment penalty on the extinguishment of related mortgage debt. Year-to-date fiscal 2011 loss included a charge of $9.5 million, or $0.52 per diluted share, associated with the voluntary prepayment of the company’s second lien term loan and the refinancing of its revolving credit facility.
For the third quarter of fiscal 2012, comparable stores sales increased 1.9%. Total sales for the 13 weeks ended Oct. 27, 2012 increased 1.9% to $668.7 million, compared with $656.1 million for the prior year period.
Other income in the third quarter of fiscal 2012 was $14.4 million, compared with $14.5 million in the third quarter of fiscal 2011.
In the third quarter of fiscal 2012, gross margin was $244.5 million, compared with $245.4 million in the third quarter of fiscal 2011. The gross margin rate for the third quarter of fiscal 2012 decreased to 36.6% of net sales from 37.4% of net sales in the prior year period. The decline in the gross margin rate in the third quarter is largely attributable to increased net markdowns and delivery expenses.
Interest Expense, Net
In the third quarter of fiscal 2012, interest expense, net, was $20.0 million, compared with $21.9 million in the prior year period. The decrease in the third quarter primarily reflects reduced borrowings and interest rates.
Income Tax Provision
An income tax provision of $0.3 million was recorded in the third quarter of fiscal 2012, compared with a provision of $0.6 million in the third quarter of fiscal 2011.
About The Bon-Ton Stores, Inc.
The Bon-Ton Stores, Inc., with corporate headquarters in York, Pennsylvania and Milwaukee, Wisconsin, operates 273 department stores, which includes 11 furniture galleries, in 24 states in the Northeast, Midwest and upper Great Plains under the Bon-Ton, Bergner’s, Boston Store, Carson Pirie Scott, Elder-Beerman, Herberger’s and Younkers nameplates and, in the Detroit, Michigan area, under the Parisian nameplate.
The stores offer a broad assortment of national and private brand fashion apparel and accessories for women, men and children, as well as cosmetics and home furnishings.