Easton's Peace Candle lighting is about more than just pushing a button.
It's a big community event, drawing a giant crowd to Centre Square each year on the Friday night after Thanksgiving.
And in the hours leading up to the lighting, people need things to do.
They'll have plenty, including ice carvers from the Northampton Community College Culinary Arts Program, a Mummers band, and the Easton debut of TubaChristmas, which -- as the name implies -- features Christmas music played solely by tuba players.
Here's the schedule of what will be happening Downtown Friday:
- 5 p.m. to 5:30 p.m: Easton Area High School Brass Ensemble performs in Centre Square near Valenca.
- 5 p.m. to 6 p.m: Easton Area High School Chamber Singer & String Ensemble performs at the Grand Eastonian.
- 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m/7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m: Photos with Santa at Third Street Alliance.
- 6 p.m. to 7 p.m: Easton Municipal Band plays in Centre Square.
- 7 p.m. to 7:45 p.m: Santa parade and the Uptown String Band.
- 7:45 p.m: Mayor Sal Panto presents the Gretchen Wrenshaw Community Spirit Award in Centre Square.
- 8 p.m: Candle lighting.
- 8:05 p.m. to 9 p.m: TubaChristmas
Throughout the evening, from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., you'll find other activities in the square, including horse-drawn carriage and tracklkess train rides, a moon bounce, a petting zoo, and a Toys-For-Tots dropoff at Drinky's.
Numerous businesses Downtown will be holding open houses as well.