1. A local “Take Back” Day to collect expired, unwanted or unused prescription drugs will be held across Northampton County from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. You can safely dispose of old medicines by taking them to Target. Police officers will accept controlled, non-controlled and over-the-counter medications as part of a nationwide “Take Back” program. Local participation is led by the Lehigh County District Attorney’s Office, Allentown Health Bureau, police, and other organizations.
2. Remove any personal information from bottles or packages that contain medications. Liquid products and creams in containers will be accepted.
3. Sharpies and syringes will not be accepted because of the potential hazard posed by blood-borne pathogens. Illegal substances, such as marijuana and methamphetamine, are not part of the program and should not be placed in the collection boxes.
4. Keeping expired or unused medicine can be dangerous. “People can mistake one medication for another, especially if the names of the medications are close,” said Vicky Kistler, director of the Allentown Health Bureau. Having excess medications stored in homes “also can provide the opportunity for curious youths to experiment with dangerous drugs with serious consequences,” she added.
5. In 2010, police officers in Lehigh County collected 192.47 pounds of pills and capsules, including pain-killers, appetite suppressants, anxiety-relievers, vitamins and pet medications.
The total collected in Lehigh, Northampton, Berks and Schuylkill counties, which are in the U.S. Department of Justice Drug Enforcement Administration Allentown Resident territory, was 561.29 pounds. In Pennsylvania, almost 3 tons of medications were picked up by the National Guard and taken to an incinerator out of state to be burned.
Here is a complete list of “Take Back” locations in Northampton County:
- Target 3835 Dryland Way Easton Pa, 18045
- Bethlehem Township Police Dept. 4225 Easton Avenue Bethlehem Pa, 18020
- Giant Food Stores 859 Nazareth Pike Nazareth Pa, 18064
- Wegman 5000 Wegman's Dr. Bethlehem Pa, 18017
- Pennsylvania State Police Department Bethlehem Barracks 2930 Airport Rd. Bethlehem Pa, 18017
- Bethlehem Police Substation 434 W. Broad St. Bethlehem Pa, 18018
- Bath Drug 310 S. Walnut St. Bath Pa 18014
- Fountain Hill Police Department 941 Long St. Bethlehem Pa, 18015
- Lower Saucon Township Police Dept. 3700 Old Phila Pike Bethlehem Pa, 18015
- Catasauqua Police Department 118 Bridge St. Catasauqua Pa, 18032